Essex County Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Project
The overarching goal of SPAN's Essex County Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Project is to improve preconception, prenatal, and interconception care and reduce pre-term births, low birth weight, and infant mortality rates by connecting Essex County underserved women and men to needed services and supports. The project targets the Essex County communities, Newark, Irvington, East Orange and Orange with the greatest need. These are the women who are least likely to receive prenatal care or to have a “medical home,” and most likely to have poorer pregnancy outcomes.
SPAN's Essex County Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Project has also developed an Advisory Board which meets quarterly. The Advisory Board includes families in the targeted communities, Newark, Irvington, East Orange and Orange as well as community-based agencies, service providers, and county and municipal agency representatives, to advise our work and enhance coordination of services. If you would like to attend contact Program Director at the contact information listed below.
SPAN's team of four Community Health Workers connects Essex County women and men to health insurance, health care, and other needed community services, and provides ongoing and intensive support to help them access those resources and services and build their own knowledge and skills! Check out some free events below that IPO has going on in a community near you!
FREE Breastfeeding Support Group!!
IPO is proud to announce its FREE Breastfeeding Support Group Series facilitated by Lactation Consultant Kasey Dudley! Contact Kasey Dudley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Essex County IPO Initiative Advisory Board Meeting
Calling all Essex County Families!
Please join us to share your feedback about
Essex County Services
The Essex County
Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Initiative
We want to know what is working
for families and what is not!
The Essex County Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Project Program is a health service grant funded by the New Jersey Department of Health.
- Are Quit Smoking Medications Safe for Pregnant Smokers?
- Health Tips for Women: This brochure provides health tips for women on nutrition, exercise, smoking cessation, prescription drugs, substance abuse, toxins, and other health promotion strategies.
- Improving Pregnancy Outcomes in Essex County Project Overview: This powerpoint presentation provides an overview of SPAN's Essex County Improving Pregnancy Outcomes Project.
- Toward Improving the Outcome of Pregnancy: This section of the March of Dimes website contains important information, tools and resources to help improve birth outcomes.
- Text for Baby: This website gives women information on how to sign up for free texts about pre- and post-natal care, information and resources for pregnant and parenting moms.